"World Day of Action Against McDonald's"

There were 9 arrests, some activists were injured -- and one McDonald's was
sabotaged -- in the U.S. Wednesday (Oct. 16) as anti-McDonald's activists in
an estimated 50 U.S. cities blocked drive-thrus, disrupted business and hung
banners calling the multi-million dollar fast food giant a "murderer."
Included are some of the highlights from some groups reporting in:


There were five arrests near San Francisco at a Santa Cruz McDonald's when
two activists scaled the store's roof to drop a banner. Police were on the
scene immediately and handcuffed and dragged activists across the roof
face-first. One rooftop activist was kicked in the face by police, and
slammed repeatedly into pipes and air conditioning ducts. The other
rooftopper was later taken to the hospital with a possible concussion as a
result of the brutal treatment. On the ground, other activists from Santa
Cruz Animal Rights (SCAR) and Bay Area Animal Rights Direct Action Coalition
(BAARDAC) locked onto chair and tables inside McDeath with kryptonite locks.
Despite taunts from redneck patrons, who shoved Big Macs in their faces, the
activists maintained. Police later ejected and arrested three of the
activists, and dragged one of them out by her hair. Activists in support were
forced to lock their car doors and windows when a crowd at the McMurder
started toward them with baseball bats. All 5 activists were cited and
released less than 2 hours later, and the injured activist was released from
the hospital, a little groggy. She is supposed to be monitored to see if,
indeed, she has a concussion. There was print and television coverage.


There were also four arrests in Minneapolis, where SOAR (Student
Organization for Animal Rights) activists also took over the roof of a
McDonald's for about 2 hours. The used the "human octopus" -- bikelocked
together -- to frustrate police. Reportedly, after trying several techniques,
the fire dept. was called in to use the "jaws of life" to cut activists
apart. This all happened on the roof, and observers described it as "mayhem"
with as many as 16 people on the roof at one time trying to extricate the
SOAR activists. Activists were maced, and sent to the hospital, spending 5
hours to "detox" before being moved to the regular jail and charged with
trespassing. They were released, after spending all night in jail, Thursday
when a judge let them go on their "own recognizance" (no bail). Activists had
refused to pay $100 bail or eat during their stay. The street around the
McMurder was closed down when a news helicopter trying to film the scene
apparently took out a power wire. There was heavy news coverage, including
television, radio and print.


A group of 50 to 100 people protested in front a local
McDonald's outlet that just opened on the site of the city's heritage
mountain, the Mount-Royal. Leaflets outlining 8 good reasons to stop 
patronizing McDonald's were handed out all day to passers-by and would-be 


An underground animal rights group, known as the "Band of Mercy," damaged locks 
and hung the banner: "McDeath: Killing Animals, the Earth and You" during an 
pre-dawn raid. Damages are unknown at this time. In their message, the group 
said their action was "part of a nationwide attack on McDonald's, which sells 
body parts of tortured animals, destroys the environment and sells unhealthy 
foods...we will continue our actions until the atrocities stop." The action 
received coverage on local television and print. It is the first known action 
by "Band of Mercy" in the U.S. in years.


Several actions were held, one at the McD near the Empire State Building with 
much fun had with the statue of Ronald McD sitting on a bench in front of the 


Activists from Animal Defense League (ADL) virtually closed the McDeath down
from Noon to 2 p.m. During the siege, McDonald's was forced to give free food
to those who slipped by the gauntlet. One activist clogged the drive thru
lane for a while by demanding a veggie burger, and then "losing" his keys in
the bushes. Other activists started demanding veggie burgers, outside and
inside the restaurant. Even though police told them to leave or be arrested,
activists insisted on staying, and no arrests were made. "We stole the
breadwinning hours from them," said one ADL activist, who added that other
groups joined in on the action -- many for the first time participating in a
"direct action." Those groups included Student Environmental Action
Coalition, the Anarchist Society, Heartwood. Activists thought it was a great
action because of the "unity" between groups, coming together to slam
McMurder. There was television coverage locally.


McLibel Support Campaign activists jammed the sidewalks outside a busy McKill, 
passing out literature and taunting employees and the manager of the
store. When the manager quipped he was "Ronald McDonald," activists noted
that RM was "a fictitious character" and they didn't have to listen to him.
Others agreed the manager did "look like a clown" because of his polkadot tie
and pink suit. "Yippy Wild Bill" joined the fracas in the middle of the
street, displaying a Eco Flag to bring the message to passersby.


Animal Defense League (ADL) activists hung a banner from the local
McDonald's reading, in part: "Special Today: McMurder Deluxe." Ironically,
while the manager came out and harangued the activists, the banner hung
proudly -- for us -- behind him. For a long, long time. Finally, a customer
told the manager what was up. Police were called to the scene, but not before
there was a "food fight" caused by rednecks who threw softdrinks at the
activists inside the store. Activists repeatedly entered the store,
leafleting all customers. The manager had to "escort" activists out. This
spirited action also received substantial television coverage.


Twin protests in Riverside, just east of Los Angeles, and San Diego,
resulted in no arrests, but significant police interest. Activists from
ARDAC/Southern California and other local groups distributed hundreds of
pieces of literature at the locations, harassed patrons, managers and police
-- and generally just caused trouble. There was no immediate reports of what
kind of media coverage was received.

N E W S Home Page INFOZONE Home Page TM Crew Home Page